Who doesn’t love to take their dog to the beach, especially when we have some of the most stunning beaches out here in Hawaii? But did you know the sea can turn from friend to foe for our pups with the salt water?
Salt Water Poisoning is something many dog owners are unaware of until it becomes too late for their four legged family members.
The salty water from the sea can cause our dogs to become very sick or even turn deadly if they ingest too much.
Symptoms you should look out for are:
- Walking like they are drunk/very unsteady on their paws
- Excessive Thirst and Urination
- No appetite
All these can lead to kidney damage, tremors, seizures, coma and even death if you do not seek veterinary medical attention immediately.
Salt Water Poisoning can present little by little which isn’t the best thing since the salt water greatly effects their brain and by the time most dog parents seek attention, it is often too late for the pup.
Now I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t take your dog to the beach to have some fun, but take precautions and be on the look out for symptoms. From my research, many veterinarians recommend to limiting your pup’s time in salt water (aka the ocean) to about one to two hours with breaks in between to avoid salt water poisoning.
To be honest with all of you, we took our dogs to the beach a long time ago and they got sick after drinking some of the salt water. They had diarrhea, but nothing too bad and nothing that I had to rush them to the vet, but I do remember I was told that the salt water from the ocean could damage their kidneys. Imagine my surprise when I found out there was much more the salt water could do.
So the next time you take your pup or pups out for some beach time fun, be sure to keep a close eye when they are out having fun in the ocean water and spread the word about salt water poisoning to avoid your furends getting sick too.
Be Safe Hawaii!